Thursday, July 12, 2007

New Focus!!!!!

My poker "career" for lack of a better term has been break even for the most part, I haven't had to invest a lot of my own money into it to keep playing. I have been fortunate to score enough wins here and there where I could keep playing, but I am not satisfied being "break even". I have been wanting to move up in levels for a long time, but can't sustain a big enough bank roll to do so.

Since, I got back from Vegas I have been reading some poker books, consulting a few of the poker communities I am a part of, and analyzing my stats and hand histories as much as possible. I figured out that I have been trying to learn Cash Games, Tournaments, Single Table SNG's, and a little bit of Omaha and Stud mixed in. That is way too many disciplines to try and learn at one time, so for the time being I am going to primarily focus on Multi-Table tournaments almost exclusively. I think my cash game play is okay enough for trips to Hard Rock, Derby, and the Tampa Dog Track where I can play and not go broke, and maybe make an okay return if things roll my way.

My tournament play has been slowly getting better, but not at the rate I would like it too. So I have been playing $5 - $20 MTT's lately online, and I have been happy with my play even though I haven't cashed much in any of them. A funny thing happened in one of them I played in I was moved to a table and I noticed a player with the name USF-Grothe, and the reason it was funny is the guy plays quarter back for the school I graduated from LOL. Here he is on Full Tilt playing a MTT on a Tuesday night, I was hoping to get in a pot with him and re-raise him just for the hell of it, but he got eliminated shortly after I got to the table. Here are some screenshots below, and the hand he went out on.







As for my results in that tournament I ended up finishing 10th, I was a bit pissed at myself because I had played really well the entire tournament and one mistake put me out of the tournament. Here is the hand I went out on:

Blinds: $200/$400

The-Marksmen (Button) -

The-Marksmen raises to $800
SB Folds
BigdogJack (BB): raises to $1200
The-Marksmen calls

The Flop:


The-Marksmen raises all in $3700
Bigdogjack calls

Bigdogjack shows:

Turn:

River:





I went broke with a pair when I didn't even need to take the risk, I had targeted bigdogjack as one of my blind stealing targets because I had stolen from him in the past. I should have trusted my instincts when he re-raised me, but he didn't re-raise me all that much and for some reason I thought I was up against Ace King. But when I pushed all-in something told me he had an over pair, it took him a long time to call which was surprising once I saw what he had. I had enough chips to last until the final table, but I was a bit to aggresive. Lesson learned.

1 comment:

E z e k i e l said...

I wish you the best of luck in your MTT pursuit. Don't forget though that in pursuit of MTT's there will be long droughts between the windfalls. Where as something like your cash games and sngs the profit is much smaller but the frequency is much more than the MTTs.

It is a shame you ran into a real hand. Like you said you had an inkling that your weren't ahead but just take your time and rethink how the hand has played out thus far and your opponents actions in previous hands.

The push on the flop was a good move IMO if you were confident your opponent had AK. But again if you had paused to rethink the stack sizes, min-reraise preflop and your opponents tendencies I might have thought aces, kings or possibly queens (though unlikely because you hold a queen) might be possible holdings.

At any rate, good luck and keep the blog entries coming!